I had a request for a video about hydrating masks, since I haven’t written a blog in what feels like ages I thought why not do a blog instead?
It’s the worst part of wintertime right now… Here in Canada that means chapped lips, dry and flaky skin, and a general feeling that it’s time to move to California. Unfortunately, in the current political climate Canada is probably the best place to stay so we need to figure out how to deal with this cold, dry weather.
I have put together a list of my favourite dry skin products, some are affordable, and some are a splurge. In my recent video on YouTube I went over what products you can save money on and what products I think you should splurge on. Skincare is worth a splurge in my experience. I simply have not found a skincare line that is affordable and works the way it’s supposed to. Nothing you put on top of your skin can change what you’re putting in your body so proper nutrition and hydration is a huge part of keeping your skin healthy and giving it that glow. Of course, there are a few things we can put on our skin that will make these next few months more bearable, because unfortunately we are not yet nearing the end of winter anytime soon (seriously, California sounds pretty darn good).
So here they are:
1. Dr Jart Vital Hydra Solution Deep Hydration Sheet Mask. I believe this is the replacement mask for the Dr Jart Water Replenishment Sheet Mask which has been a long-time favourite of mine. This newer version is different because it doesn’t smell as fresh and pretty but it works WAY better than the older version. I just used this mask last night and it honestly reduced fine lines and gave my skin a nice glow, especially when I topped it with my nighttime moisturizer. Also, today my skin feels SO hydrated. The weather is not as dry as it has been the last week, but I think this mask did an amazing job and I want to buy 10 more. Keep in mind even if your skin is oily you still need hydration, and dehydrated skin often creates oil to balance itself. EVERYONE needs extra moisture in the wintertime.
2. If you’re not a fan of sheet masks you’d love this Ahava Cream Mask. This is also a great option for people who don’t have time to sit around for 20 minutes and treat their skin. You can wear this while completing other tasks, which I find you just can’t do with sheet masks, making this a great mask for busy moms and dads or working ladies and gents. Also, it works! This mask is something you could do often and it would be more economical than buying sheet masks all the time. It also smells delicious and your face is nice and smooth afterward.
3. MAC Lip Conditioner is absolutely the best lip conditioner I have ever tried. Period. I don’t really recommend this for men since most men don’t like a glossy looking lip conditioner so this one is really for the ladies. I lost mine a week ago and my lips are a total mess. I bought a cheaper option and its basically doing nothing in comparison. $19 is not cheap for a lip product so I realize this is not possible for everyone and really, as long as you’re not walking around with bare lips you’re ahead of the game. However I think we can all say that chapped lips are something you want to prevent at all costs because they can crack and become so uncomfortable. If you can, try this lip conditioner and you will not be disappointed.
4. Fix+ Setting Spray is a favourite of mine all year long, but in the winter, it can be the drink of water your skin needs. On dry days I carry the travel sized version and give myself a few sprays throughout the day. It helps your skin look less flaky and just feels great. Honestly, I’m sure this is doing more than I even know and I recommend it to EVERYONE.
5. Moisturizer is something I switch up all the time, because I’m constantly trying out new products to review for you guys both here on my blog and my YouTube channel. Plus I like to be able to recommend things to my clients when they ask. I am currently obsessed with two different moisturizers: the Drunk Elephant Protini Polypeptide Cream and the Babor Hydra RX Serum and Moisturizer. I use Drunk Elephant at night and the Babor during the day. You could use both products twice a day but I cant decide between the two which I like better so I’m using both. I likely wouldn’t use the Drunk Elephant in the summer since its so thick, whereas the Babor would work all year long. You can purchase Babor at Be Gorgeous Beauty on Spring Garden Road here in Halifax. Mention my name (Meghan Lawlor) to receive 15% off, and they also do phone orders and can ship the product to you if you’re outside Halifax or unable to get there. I’ll link their website so you can check them out. (Also just FYI I’m not getting paid if you mention my name, it’s a perk for those of you following along!)
As I mentioned above, the best thing you can do for your skin is take care of your overall health. Eat lots of veggies and drink lots of water! I personally notice a huge change in my skin when I just make healthier choices. I also notice a huge difference when I avoid alcohol and salty foods, which are two of my favourite things, so I know - it’s difficult. However, in this weather my poor skin needs all the help it can get! I hope this blog was helpful to those of you who are as sick of this weather as I am. Honestly, it’s almost worth it to move somewhere warm…. ALMOST : ).
Disclaimer: some links above are affiliate links where I earn a small commission if you click on them. Thank you so much for you ongoing support.